Spring Holidays
Follow Us: facebook facebook twitter you tube
Tour In Delhi
Goa Churches & Convents Goa Holiday Tour Packages
Aamong the emerald paddy fields are the divine houses of sanctity, beautiful churches and Portugese styled country mansions that delight every tourist with their Portuguese aroma mingled with Goan scent. Built between 18th-19th century, these elegant masterpieces display a strong impact of the Portuguese rule in Goa. The calm churches, rugged forts, exquisite temples and grandiose country mansions of Goa attract countless tourists from all over the world. So, feel the pleasure of visiting these numerous structures that highlights this beautiful beach land of India

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The Professed House And The Basilica Of Bom Jesus

Location

Old Goa, 10 kms from east of Panaji
Built In : 1594
Architectural Style : A Mixture of Renaissance and Baroque Styles
When To Go : September - November

Positioning of The Church


The Professed House

The Professed House ia a two-storeyed laterite building clothed with lime plaster to the south of main road. Attached to the Professed house is the world famous Basilica of Bom Jesus where the Relics of St. Francis Xavier are enshrined. It is better known as the 'Casa Professa' of the Jesuits. Inspite of the conflict, which the Jesuits confronted, the building was completed in 1585. A part of the building was incidentally burnt down in 1663 and was reconstructed in 1783.

The Church Of Bom Jesus

Located at Old Goa, 10 kilometres east of Panaji, the Bom Jesus Basilica is considered to be a World Heritage site. Old Goa owns an exotic church, which is not plastered from outside, as the lime plaster had been dismantled by an avid Portuguese reformist in 1950. The three-storeyed facade of Basilica of Bom Jesus, is one of the richest in Goa, boasting of elaborately carved basalt decorations. The sacred place of worship is a creation of two priests - Diogo de Borba and Minguel Vaz and exhibits an incredible Renaissance architecture.

Architectural Grandeur of The Church

Walk around the mythical columns, decorated with murals and inlay work, upto St. Francis Xavier's casket and no doubt you will experience sheer magic in impressive craftsmanship. It is regarded as one of the best examples of baroque architecture in India. The white marbled church houses a carved basalt laurel wreath depicting the symbol of the Society of Jesus at the peak.

The Professed House And The Basilica Of Bom Jesus As you will enter the rectangular nave, you can see the statue of St. Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus, and below it, a small statue of the Infant Jesus, the patron of the church, only adds to devotion. To the left is an exceedingly well-carved wooden statue of St. Francis Xavier, nestling beneath the choir. Once in every 10 years, the Church allows devotees to see the well preserved body of the saint, which lies in an airtight glass coffin placed in a silver casket crafted by a 17th century. Opposite the memorial casting on the southern wall is a beautifully carved wooden pulpit with a cover at its peak. The pulpit has on its three sides the figures of Jesus, the four Evangelists - Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The bottom of the pulpit depicts seven figures, flying angels as though abiding it on their wings.

Religious Significance

It depicts the life of St Xavier's through its paintings. On the southern wall are paintings in Italian School arranged in three rows. In the middle row are three paintings respectively showing Xavier praying with ardour. In the top row are displayed the three paintings of Xavier as a servant of a knight.

In the bottom row are two paintings displaying St. Francis Xavier being received by certain Portuguese noblemen and his interview with the King of Bango in Japan. There are also other paintings on the remaining three sides of the chapel, fixed in decorated wooden frames depicting the scenes from his life and the miracles performed by him. A painting, in oil on canvas, of ST. Francis Xavier is put on the top of the wooden door at the back of the chapel.

How To Reach

This sacred site of worship is located just opposite the Se Cathedral in Old Goa. This small piece of virgin land is situated on the banks of the calm Mandovi River in east Tiswadi Taluka in Central Goa. Drive comfortably on NH 4A, which begins as the Ribander Causeway, runs east along the Mandovi River, through the pastoral area and continues south-east to Ponda.

Tower Of The Church Of St. Augustine

Location

Old Goa, Panaji
Built In : 1602
Architectural Style : Italian Style
When To Go : September - November
Positioning of The Church

The church of St Augustine is an east-facing church in Goa built by Augustine friars in 1602. It is located opposite the Royal Chapel of St Anthony. The construction of the building began more than 400 years ago and was finished between the years 1597 to 1602. The designer's name of this irresistible piece of construction is not known, but is guessed to have been an Italian.

History

By chance the construction of the church begun in the same year as the arrival in Goa of Julio Simao (1565-1641) who was himself influenced by the great Spanish architect Juan de Herrera (1530-1597). Simao was the chief architect of the Indian colonies of Portugal having been appointed by Philip II, ruler of Spain and Portugal between 1580-1598. When it was accomplished in the 16th century, the grand Nossa Senhora da Graca Church was regarded as one of the three great Augustinian churches in the Iberian world, the other two being the Basilica of the Escorial in Spain, St. Vincente de Fora in Lisbon.

It was the hard work, efforts and aids of these 12 Augustan Friars, that the church came up, on the Holy Hill. It was built in Old Goa in September 1572 which was completed by 1602. The Portuguese government later released a veto against them. The twelve men emptied the church and the church and the convent both are smashed now. However, the lifted 46-metre high Bell Tower still remains and forms a front most section of the ruins.

An Echoing BellChurch Of St. Augustine

The tower's huge bell was moved in 1871 to the Church of our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Panjim, where it remains and can be seen and heard today. But unfortunately, in 1931, the facade and half the tower fell down, followed by more sections in 1938 leaving only half the tower that is seen and visited by thousands of tourists today.

Beauty of The Church

The Church had eight richly ornamented chapels and four altars and a convent with many cells attached to it and the great nave was entered through a five storeyed high facade that was the largest in India. The church was finished in 1835 due to religious subjugation. The vault collapsed in 1842 followed by facade and the main tower in 1831. the site was hollowed in 1989 to bring out eight chapels, four altars, Persian tiles, relief sculptures and morals. There were 100 granite tombstones embellished with a coat of arms, above inscriptions of the 17th century. This remarkable structure of St. Augustine's tower is all that remains of what was once one of the largest buildings in Goa. The lost Augustans Monastery is still a major attraction in Goa.

How To Reach

The church is situated opposite the Royal Chapel of St Anthony and it is a 5 minute walk from the Basilica.

The Convent And Church Of St. Francis Of Assisi

Location

Old Goa, 9 km from Panaji
Built In : 1571
Architectural Style : Baroque & Manuline with Tuscan exteriors
When To Go : September - November

Positioning of The Church

The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is situated in the same compound, where Se Cathedral is located. This beautiful church was built in 1517-1521 AD.

History

The origin of this church and the inter-connected convent can be traced to the modest beginnings made by eight Franciscan friars, who, on their arrival in 1517, secured from the Governor a few houses that belonged to a conked Thanadar. By their continuous efforts, they constructed a small chapel, with three altars and a choir. A church devoted to the Holy Ghost was built in 1521 and was later pulled down and the present church was built on the same place in 1661 keeping back only the entrance of the earlier church.

Architectural Beauty of The Church

The Church of St. Francis has been designed very profusely. The church has a Tuscan facade and a Baroque interior. Its Manuline style doorway was retained from the earlier church that stood in this place. It is decorated elegantly with bold floral frescoes that have a touch of Indo-Portuguese Baroque style. The Rocco-style carved floral pulpit from this church is now in the church of St Alex in Calangute.

Other remarkable features are the gilded main altar and inscribed tombstones paving the floor. The chancel has some exquisite 17th century wall paintings and some paintings on the life of St Francis. The corner of the façade holds the statue of St Michael and a wooden statue of St Francis Assisi graces the pedestal in one of its chapel.

The Tabernacle

The tabernacle was used for displaying the holy religious ceremonies. Above the tabernacle, in the main altar, is a large statue of St. Francis of Assisi and an evenly large statue of Jesus on the cross. Beneath the two figures are inscribed the three vows of the Saint - poverty, humility and obedience. On either side of the main altar, in the nave, are beautiful large paintings on wood, exhibiting scenes from the life of St. Francis of Assai.

A Leap Into The Museum

Don't forget to see the archaeological museum which was established in the convent in 1964. The grand gallery houses an exclusive collection of 60 portraits of the Portuguese viceroys and governors of Goa. You can also wander around the spacious corridors and see appealing exhibits like the statue of Albuquerque, a model of Vasco da Gama's Sao Gabriel. The museum has a rich collection of paintings, artefacts, statues etc. Some Hindu dietes can also be viewed like Lord Vishnu and a atanding statue of Lord Surya.

How To Reach

This sacred site of worship is located just opposite the Se Cathedral in Old Goa. This small piece of virgin land is situated on the banks of the calm Mandovi River in east Tiswadi Taluka in Central Goa. Drive comfortably on NH 4A, which begins as the Ribander Causeway, runs east along the Mandovi River, through the pastoral area and continues south-east to Ponda.

Chapel of St Francis Xavier

Location

Old Goa, Panjim
Built In : 1884
Architectural Style :Dorian Style
When To Go : September - November
Positioning of The Church .

Chapel of St. Francis Xavier in Goa is located on the banks of the pristine Mandovi River in east Tiswadi Taluka in Central Goa. Behind the gate of St. Paul's college is a Kuchcha road branching off the main road, leading to the chapel of St. Francis Xavier. .

History.

The original chapel was in existence in 1545. With the eruption of the epidemic and the consequent vacating of the college of St. Paul in 1570, the chapel fell into ruins and the present chapel was built in 1884..

The Blessed Chapel of Xavier.

The chapel adorned with Dorian style of architecture is a unique piece of architecture. St.Francis Xavier, the patron saint of Goa, lovingly called as Lord of Goa died in 1552 on his way to China. The body brought in 1554 to Goa, is kept in the Basilica of Bom Jesus. The sacred relic of St.Francis Xavier normally housed in a silver casket in the Bom Jesus church, is brought in a conventional emission by several priests to the SE cathedral every 10 years for philosophising. The mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier can be seen through a glass case in this chapel. .

Beauty Of the Chapel .

Beautified in Dorian Style, this chapel was built of laterite plastered with lime mortar, with tiled roof supported by wooden rafterswith only one altar..

Something About Francis Chapel .

Chapel of St. Francis Xavier in Goa is dedicated to St Francis Xavier or Santo Padre. St Francis Xavier's real name is Don Francisco de Yesu. He was a bright young man pursuing scholastic career at the famous University of Paris. With a mission in mind of bringing Christianity in east it was in 1542 that St. Xavier walked barefooted in an obscure village in India. Francis Xavier was a linguist. His countless letters to Europe were written in Latin, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian but he seemed not to have known any of them very well, which could be judged out from his writings..

How to Reach .

You can enjoy driving comfortably on NH 4A, which begins as the Ribander Causeway, runs east along the Mandovi River and extends south-east to Ponda. The Basilica is open from 6 AM till 6:30 PM, so you can have the pleasure to attend the evening mass which is very pleasing to see as well as hear.

The Church Of Our Lady Of The Rosary

Location

Old Goa, Panaji
Built In : 1544
Architectural Style : Gothic Style
When To Go : September - November

Positioning of The Church

Considered to be one of the oldest churches of Goa, this massive structure positions on the western side of the Holy Hill or Monte Santo dominating the Mandovi river and Divar Island. It is located shortly to the west of the Basilica of the Bom Jesus.

History

This blessed chapel was built in fulfilment of a vow taken by Afonso de Albuquerque while, retrospecting the battle between his forces and those of the Bijapur Sultan, at the same place on which the church stands. The vow could be accomplished only after his death, since this church was built in 1544-49.

Architectural Beauty of The Church

The Church of St. Francis has been designed very profusely. The church has a Tuscan facade and a Baroque interior. Its Manuline style doorway was retained from the earlier church that stood in this place. It is decorated elegantly with bold floral frescoes that have a touch of Indo-Portuguese Baroque style. The Rocco-style carved floral pulpit from this church is now in the church of St Alex in Calangute.

Beauty of The Church

Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar, this Church is a fine example of true "Manuline" style architecture of the early Portuguese. The church is shaped up like a cross and has two chapels and three altars.

The Chapels And Altars

The Church Of Our Lady Of The Rosary The Church has two chapels and three altars. The main altar is devoted to our Lady of the Rosary. The main altar has themes of cashews, mangoes and flowers. Its frontage has the appearance of a fortress with openings in its wall to visualize invaders. Its design is simple and concrete and in front of its altar lies the tombstone of Garcia de Sa, one of the early governors of Goa.

A Memorial of Dona Catarina

To the right of the main altar is a marble cenotaph immortalizing Dona Catarina, whose marriage with Viceroy Garcia De Sa was performed by St. Francis Xavier. The memorial casting from the wall, is carved beautifully, with inscriptions in Portuguese and solid miniature pillars. The church is open seven days from 9 AM to 5:30 PM.

Feast Day

The people of Goa have special reverence for the church, as it connects to St. Francis Xavier. Every year, in November, there is the feast day of the church. The day is celebrated with fates, music bands, dances, apery and fashion shows. It was held in great awe by the public as, it was here that St. Francis Xavier used to teach catechism every evening to the public, who clustered together at the sound of a little bell he rang.

How To Reach

It is located past to the convent of Santa Monica. Take the road going slightly uphill south of Basilica de Bom Jesus past the school and library and turn right at The Convent of St John of God.

The Church Of St. Cajetan

Location

Old Goa, Panaji
Built In : 1656
Architectural Style :Italian Renaissance with Baroque
When To Go : September - November

Positioning of The Church

This exclusive massive church of St.Cajetan is located about half a kilometer away to the north east of the Se Cathedral and lies near the ruins of the Vice Regal Palace. This Goan church has been patterned on the original design of the Basilica of St. Peter in Rome.

History

The Church of St.Cajetan was a creation of the Italian friars. Although the church altar is dedicated to Our Lady of Divine Providence, the church is named after the founder of the Theatine order, St. Cajetan who was a contemporary of St. Francis Xavier.

These three friars moved to Goa, but were soon asked to leave in 1654, by the local Viceroy of Goa, as they began the construction of a hospital. But the boldest of them, D. Pedro Avitabili, went all the way to Portugal to explain to the King, Dom João IV, that it would be in the concern of Christian religion, if they were allowed to work in Goa, together with the Portuguese priests.

The king was moved by their thought, so he allowed to built the hospital, in 1650. In 1655, the Theatines managed to obtain permission to build the Church and also a Convent. The making of the Church was completed in 1661. Although built around the same time, the Convent was much smaller in size and was expounded later on.

The Beauty of a Marvel in White Marble

The Church displays an impressive signature of Baroque art in its Corinthian columns and pillars of massive symmetry. When you'll wander around the church, you will be astonished to see how Italian renaissance architecture comes to life before your eyes.

The Greek Influence

The external architecture is Corinthian whereas, the interiors are adorned in a Mosaic-Corinthian way. The main body of the church is Greek with a nave and two sided passageways, marked by four massive docks, and faced by Corinthian pillars. These pillars also form a platform for support. The ribbed vaults of the nave and aisles are of various heights, are decorated with different floral designs. The podium is built in artistic style and exhibits Goan craftsmanship. The dome of the church presents a majestic appearance and because of the windows right around the dome the interior of the church always give a flashy look.

The Chapels And Altars

The Church has two chapels and three altars. The main altar is devoted to our Lady of the Rosary. The main altar has themes of cashews, mangoes and flowers. Its frontage has the appearance of a fortress with openings in its wall to visualize invaders. Its design is simple and concrete and in front of its altar lies the tombstone of Garcia de Sa, one of the early governors of Goa.

Baroque Style Altars

There are six altars besides the main one, which is dedicated to Our Lady of Divine Providence. These altars are intricately carved and gilded in Baroque style with twisted beams and figures of angles commanding each other. The altars also have paintings on canvas of the Italian school, depicting scenes from the life of St. Cajetan. The corners running along the sides of the vault have wooden statues of saints.

Feast Day

The people of Goa have special reverence for the church, as it connects to St. Francis Xavier. Every year, in November, there is the feast day of the church. The day is celebrated with fates, music bands, dances, apery and fashion shows. It was held in great awe by the public as, it was here that St. Francis Xavier used to teach catechism every evening to the public, who clustered together at the sound of a little bell he rang.

On entering the Church one finds three altars on the left, dedicated to the Holy family of Our Lady of Piety and St. Clare. To the right, the altars of St. John, St. Cajetan and St. Agnes are situated. The largest of the altars on the right hand side of the church is dedicated to St Cajetan.

There is a tank or a well beneath it that has led to many guesses. Some regard that the platform covers the holy tank of a Hindu temple that once survived here, while others explain that the water reservoir at the centre of the building was purposely planned by the architect to afford great steadiness to the structure. There is a decorated wooden pulpit projecting from one of the piers. In the crossing is a square raised platform, which serves as a pulpit.

How To Reach

The Church of St. Cajetan is a three minutes walk from the Se Cathedral, to the right of the Viceroy's Arch and beyond the gate of Yusuf Adil Shah's Palace in Old Goa. This patch of Goa is situated on the banks of the Mandovi River in east Tiswadi Taluka in Central Goa. Drive comfortably on NH 4A, which begins as the Ribander Causeway, runs east along the Mandovi River and continues south-east to Ponda.

The Church And Convent Of St. Monica

Location

Old Goa, Panaji
Built In : 1627
Architectural Style : European Style
When To Go : September - November

Positioning of The Church

While heading towards the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, is another church known as the Church and Convent of St Monica. Known as the Royal monastery in the past, the building is now used by by the Mater dei Institute as a nunnery.

History

The construction of the Convent and the Church of St. Monica was embarked in 1606 and completed in 1627. The building was destroyed in a fire in 1636 and re-constructed the following year. The Church was originally built between the period of 1606-1627. The fire which broke down caused a lot of damage in 1636, so, this was the reason it had to be rebuilt.

Beauty of The Church

This beautiful structure is designed in European style. The high walls of the compound are very inticing and are embellished with exclusive designs. It is a huge three-storeyed building of laterite, which was originally lime-plastered, but is now plastered with cement. It has a square structure with a spacious inner courtyard, surrounding a verandah with numerous cells and halls. The domed type ceilings are painted effectively with floral decorations and scenes from the Holy Bible.

A House For Nuns

The Convent of St. Monica boasts of being India's largest nunnery. Moreover, it also serves as Asia's largest training center for Catholic nuns. At present, this building serves as the Master Dei Institute used by nuns, for their theological studies.

Classes of Nuns

The Convent was specified not only for the nuns called daughters of St. Monica (mother of St. Augustine), but also for the widows (who wanted to commit themselves to the service of God) and for the protection of the ladies whose husbands were in remote lands guarding the Portuguese Empire. However, there were two classes of nuns: those with the black veil or choir nuns were named Madres (only the daughters of an European father or mother could belong to this class), and those with white veils or Rosario nuns were named Sorores, who were natives. The Government, had urged to abolish the difference between these, but nobody listened and the classes continued.

How To Reach

You can enjoy driving comfortably on NH 4A, which begins as the Ribander Causeway, runs east along the Mandovi River and extends south-east to Ponda

The Chapel Of St. Catherine

Location

Old Goa, Panaji
Built In : 1550
When To Go : September - November

Positioning of The Church

The Chapel Of St.Catherine situated in Old Goa is dedicated to St. Catherine. It stands as a living monument of the conquest of Goa by Alburquerque. The Chapel of St Catherine is towards the west of the Church of St Francis of Assisi.

History

TIt is a living example of the repression of Goa by Alfonso de Albuquerque. The church is devoted to St Catherine because Albuquerque captured Goa on the St Catherine's Day ie 25th November 1510 AD. Governor Jorge enlarged the chapel in 1550 AD. Pope Paul III lifted the status of the chapel to that of a Cathedral sees a Papal Bill in 1534 AD. This Chapel persisted as a cathedral till Se Cathedral was built.

Architectural Splendour of The Chapel

This chapel is built of laterite blocks and has a tower on either side of the façade. The chapel in the interior possess only one altar which is plain. As you enter the chapel, you will see a statue of Our Lady. There is also a beautiful altar dedicated to St. Catherine upon which stands another statue of Our Lady Of Peity

How To Reach

Drive comfortably on NH 4A, which begins as the Ribander Causeway, runs east along the Mandovi River and carries on to the south-east to Ponda.

Se Cathedral :The Big And The Beautiful Church

Location

Old Goa, 9 Km from Panjim
Built In : 1562 AD
Architectural Style : Manuline with Corinthian
When To Go : September - November

Positioning of The Church

The Se Cathedral stands towards the west of the great square called Terreiro de Sabaio and has its portico facing towards the east. It is opposite to the Basilica De Bom Jesus. It is located on the banks of Mandovi River in east Tiswadi Taluka in Central Goa.

History

The original building was constructed of mud, stones and straw and was erected in 1510 and was dedicated to St. Catherine for it was on St. Catherine's day - Nov 25th that Alfonso de Albuquerque seized Goa. It went through changes and later on a second church was constructed in 1515. It is believed to have been built on either a Hindu temple or a Muslim mosque. In its final stages of construction, it was supervised by the famous architects Antonio Argueiros and Julio Simao.

The External Beauty of Cathedral

This grandiose structure has a total length of 250 feet and a breadth of 181 feet. It is a clever blend of Tuscan and Doric fashion. The most fascinating feature are the two bell towers built in this cathedral. One of which has collapsed and the other one possesses five bells including the 'Golden bell'. It is popular for its gold embellishments; it produces wonderful sound while ringing. This 17th century bell has a rather rusty past. It tolled during the infamous interrogation of announcing the start of the gruesome auto da fe or Acts of Faith, when suspected disbelievers were pulled out of the palace

The Internal Beauty of Cathedral

The interior of the cathedral is done in a regal style and has the proud possession of high-vaulted ceiling. Built in Mosaic-Corinthian style, this church has fifteen altars and eight chapels. Among several others, the altars dedicated to Our Lady of Hope, Our Lady of Anguish, and Our Lady of Three Needs and the grand altar dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria must be seen because of its detailed carvings. The life of St Catherine of Alexandria is also depicted on the panels.

The Most Opulent Church in Goa

The Se Cathedral Church dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria boasts of being the largest in Asia. The existing tower of the church houses a famous bell, 'Golden Bell' which is one of the largest in Goa. One of the most sacred buildings for the Christians, Se Cathedral has been stated as a heritage site by UNESCO.

How To Reach

Drive comfortably on NH 4A, which begins at the Ribander Causeway, runs east along the Mandovi River, through the pastoral area and then continues till southeast to Ponda

Other Churches of Goa

Church Of the Carmelites
Location : Old Goa, Panjim
Built In : 1621
Architectural Style : Medieval Style
When To Go : September - November

Church of the Carmelites is situated at Panaji city which is the capital of Goa. It is at the southeast of the Church St. Cajetan. The Church is into ruins except the facade and raised pavement which depicted as an alter to the church. It is situated atop the hill which is beside the Church of Our Lady of the Mount. The Church of the Carmelites in Goa was destroyed when the Carmelites refused to take Oath of Allegiance to the King. They were excluded out from Goa in 1707. The Church of the Carmelites became empty and got smashed.


The Chapel Of Our Lady Of The Mount
Location : Old Goa, Panaji
Built In : 1510
When To Go : September - November

The Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount is situated atop a hill commanding a beautiful view of the whole expanse. Located 2 km on the main road towards Ponda, a Kuccha road separates towards north side, where a cross is fixed. The chapel was built under the orders the dictatorship of Afonso de Albuquerque in 1510 and is referred to as in existence in 1519. There are a number of steps leading to Chapel which is built of laterite daubed with lime mortar. It consists of three main altars dedicated to Our Lady of the Mount, St. Anthony and St. Andrew. This chapel was reconstructed twice.


The Royal Chapel Of St. Anthony
Location : Old Goa, Panaji
Built In : 1543
Architectural Style : A Blend of Various Styles
When To Go : September - November

Royal Chapel Of St. Anthony The Royal Chapel of St Anthony was raised in 1543 on commands given by Albuquerque and then dedicated to the patron saint of Portugal. Build in the beginning of 17th century, this church is held in great reverence by the Portuguese. This chapel is designed in a semi-circular shape and has an uncommonly remarkable style facade not based on any one style. It is a unique chapel in every aspect. The campanile facing east side gives it a fortress look. The semi-circular arched doorway is adorned with bent pilasters and the screens bear the Augustinian symbol of the pelican ( a sea bird ) feeding its young. The clerestory windows light up the interior of the church which are exquisitely carved and richly studded .The Portuguese government reestablished the chapel in 1961.


The Convent And The Church Of The Cross Of Miracle
Location : Old Goa, Panjim
Built In : 1619
When To Go : September - November

The Convent And The Church Of The Cross Of Miracle are located atop a hill in the fringes of Old Goa. It is built of laterite and covered very conspicuously by lime mortar. It gives a very plain look and owns a single storeyed convent with various cells, which are now in dissipated condition. It was built in 1619 to house the Cross of Miracles which has been decayed and then the present church was rebuilt in 1674 at the same place. The Convent housed the congregation for the speech of Philip Neri of Goa. In 1835, the church and the convent were desolated. The Cross of Miracles was shifted to a chapel in the Se Cathedral in 1845.


The Convent And The Church Of St. John Of God
Location : Old Goa, Panjim
Built In : 1685
When To Go : September - November

The Convent And The Church Of St. John Of God, is a simple looking building, to the east of the tower of St. Augustine. It was dedicated to Our Lady of Good Success. It got deserted in 1835 and was then occupied by the society of Misericordia for sometime. It was reestablished by the Portugese before they were ejected from Goa. Presently it is occupied by the Franciscan nuns who run an old age home. From 1844, it was a dwelling place of chaplains, confessors and others employed on behalf of the nuns of St. Monica. The roof of the church got removed in 1850 and the present roof has been constructed recently.


 
For More information about holiday packages please fill the online application form.

Book Your Holiday

 
Name:*
Email: *
Country:*
Phone No.:*
Date of Tour:*
Duration of Tour: *
No. of People Traveling:*
No. of Adults*
No. of Children
 Your requirements/ Query*
    
       
Goa Beaches Goa Festivals Goa Adventures Goa Nightlife
Goa Shopping Goa Forts Goa Wildlife Goa Churches
Goa Temples Goa Mansions Goa Cruise Goa Casino
       
Goa
 
North India TOUR
South India TOUR
West India TOUR
East India TOUR
Religious India TOUR
India Advanture TOUR
 
 
 
International Tour India Tour Packages Resources & Services